Thursday, June 24, 2010

Boarded Charlie for the first time

Our first time boarding Charlie was on Memorial Day weekend. It was the families first time staying at my parents shore house overnight. My parents said we could bring the dog but I wanted more time making sure the dog was use to the shore on day visits before he slept there overnight. This would avoid him waking up the family in the middle of the night.

Last weekend I finally took him to the shore for his first overnight. He did wake up once (which he doesn't normally do at home) but I think it was because he drank a lot of water to stay hydrated in the heat. So potty time was needed at 1 am.

Overall, back to boarding Charlie. He was happy to come home. In a little shock, but no behavior problems or stomach upset.

I used a kennel that I used to use for my old dog. I have two kennel places that I used for Stoney and those are the only ones I will consider for Charlie. Kennel choosing is like choosing a pre-school or summer camp program for your child. You need to get the full tour while the business is in operation to see the real goings on. Any kennel that does not allow you to see the dogs kenneled and will only allow drop off at the check-in counter is not where you want to board your dog. I expect full revelation of facilities.

I know that when I check myself into a hotel I require to see the facilities before I sign my name and give a credit card. A nice front desk with a sweet face at the counter doesn't mean a clean, bug free room. Do the same for your pet. He/she is a family member. Save yourself aggravation and start looking for a kennel before you need one. Also find out what shots/immunizations are required for that particular kennel. There is a new shot out required by some kennels. It is called the Influenza Vaccine which is a 2 shot series. The old vaccine Bordetella is also still required. Most places seem to take just the Bordetella but make sure. You don't want to find out at the last minute that you didn't have all of the required ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment