After using worming medicines, I decided to prevent any possible problems from happening with this puppy who eats everything inside and outside. I am continuing the usual heartworm medicines and the flea tick drops, but now the new addition is the use of an organic treatment of diatomaceous earth. This DE is supposed to be a preventer of any internal parasites from staying in gut of the dog (or human or farm animal for that matter). The DE is scratchy and doesn't make the dogs insides a comfortable place to live so it evacuates with the poop. The other benefit of the dog eating DE is his poops will be less tasty to flies and to the dog. Thankfully I haven't had the dog eating his feces.
This is his first partial week. I obtained the 50 pound bag of food grade DE from a garden center near Lambertville, NJ for 22.50. This is enough DE for the dogs life so I stored it in airtight containers.
I will keep an eye on his poops and see if anything seems to change.
By the way I did run this idea that I came across to use the DE with a vet. She seems very interested in my trial even though many people on different websites seem to claim this DE is great.
I started with 1/2 teaspoons - once per day for 4 days and saw that Charlie would eat it mixed with his food so I increased the dose to 1 teaspoon - once per day. That is the maximum dosage for small dogs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment