My husband suggested I use Craigslist.org to look for this puppy. I took his advice and daily searched morning and night for the right puppy to be posted. I would think that I had viable candidates for our new family only to find that either when asking for their name of their vet along with vet address and phone number I would not get a reply. But I did get the name of one family's vet who claimed in the posting that the dog was up to date with shots from a vet. Well the family took the puppy for one set of shots and never return for the boosters that need to be given within so many weeks of each other. So what I thought was going to be 150 for the adoption fee with just the dog needing a rabies shot turned into a 500 dollar adoption. The vets in my area a all around the same prices of 70 to 100 dollars for shots and office visit. I called to verify with vets.
If I was adopting a pedigree with papers maybe I could justify the expense but since I wasn't interested in a pedigree and clicked on this dog and began the conversation to adopt thinking it wasn't going to cost my famliy an arm and a leg I had to again re-think this dog adoption.
When I called the vet for the shots record, I also had permission from the family to asked about the health of the dog. I am glad I did. Although the dog didn't have any serious health problems it did have a serious flea problem with skin problems including redness and scabbing. What did this now mean? If I was to adopt this dog I now had to go to a flea infested home to pick it up. Put the flea infested dog into my car and get it to a groomer immediately. Chances of not infesting my car. Slim. Chances of getting a groomer to immediately take the dog to flea dip it. Slim. Oh well...
Another dog will come along. We will just be patient.
Next posting on how Craigslist is being watch by the puppymill breeders, or some claiming to be rescues.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment