One can try sites like Petfinder.com, Puppyfind.com, Craigslist.com and various other .com sites. Frustration and the ups and downs of emotions continue until you numb up.
After approximately 2 months of pretty much daily web searches, phone calls to "supposed" breeders, rescue organizations, shelters (both private and county) I have all but thrown up my hands.
I hold out some hope that owning a dog is not just for the rich who can afford the airplane flights across the country to visit the one lone breeder who actually raises quality dogs that don't have genetic defects (known ones anyway).
I have spent my weekends visiting the local Petsmarts that host rescue organizations to meet the people who work to save the dogs. I must say I am impressed by some organizations in my area that really do seem to care for the safety of the dogs and don't want dogs sent to homes that are just going to return them.
My delay is my own desire for my children to be able to raise a puppy (doesn't have to be just weened). Just young enough to really make dog and humans feel like we know each others ways inside and out. For me I also add the desire to have a low shedder, medium size. I have lived with the virtually non-shedder and the high shedder. With a toddler and 2 other children, I think I'd prefer not spending my time vacuuming the house, but playing with everyone.
We were offered a 60 pound mix breed beautiful dog that is a big shedder and would get about 20 larger. My son loved her. I loved her. I just knew that with a toddler a very large dog that didn't grow up with her was a potential problem for scaring the child when the dog accidently knocks her over. The shedding made it even more a problem.
A cocker-spaniel rescue called the other day. Said I could adopt after I answered many questions. They said I could avoid the adoption fee if I traveled to the home of the dog and picked it up myself. The home was over an hour away. I opted to allow an organization to evaluate the dog I adopt rather than picking it up myself and not knowing the health status or conditions I would be walking into.
I called a "breeder" on puppyfind.com. Saw a doodle for a discount price. Called the owner. She offered for me to come to see the dog. I googled the address and got a street view it. Oh my goodness. This was not where I wanted to buy my dog from or bring my children to see it. Either puppy mill type operation or backyard breeder. When I questioned the woman about the 5 month old I was told it had little interaction over 5 months with any people. Thankfully she was honest about that, but why??? How could you do this to any dog?
Still searching but not with the same hopes of filling the spot in our family with a pooch as quickly as I had hoped.
Next time I'll tell you about my Craigslist experience....
No comments:
Post a Comment