Thursday, January 7, 2010

Post's get flagged by ...

Posting on Craigslist for adopting a pet or "re-homing" a pet sounds like a great way for both sides to accomplish the needs the owners/potential owners have when it comes to pets. How much is Criagslist.com regulating the site. It seems as if it is regulated by the people who post and read the site only. Craigslist allows individuals to FLAG your posting which remove your posting without any verification by Craigslist that there was a real need to remove it. Find yourself posting a comment trying to warn or assist people in making good decisions on where and how to do what is best for the pet and you get removed. By whom I ask? And why is Craigslist not checking into the flagging and then Craigslist deciding whether or not to remove the comment or listing? Instead some people have taken over the site on a 24 hour basis and I suspect they are puppy mill operators or people who will adopt your free or cheap pet and resell at a great/greater profit. Also the other watchers/flaggers on the site may be some of the many so-called animal rescues that have non-profit status but no one watching to see whose interest is the main priority. PLEASE note that I do not in any way believe that all non-profit animal rescues are in the adoption business for the wrong and selfish reasons but I see too many rescues. Thankfully I have figured out my own way to determine if an animal adoption agency seems legitimate (at least for dogs and cats). My system is simple...does the organization have pet adoption days where you get to meet and greet the volunteers in a low-stress environment (a local pet store adoption day, or an adoption room where you don't have 25 or more dogs in cages barking in the room where you are trying to talk to the employees or volunteers.

Go to visit the shelters, rescues, and adoption days many times before falling in love with the pet of your dreams.

Don't adopt from a breeder that you don't have a personal friend or family member that has obtained a pet from them. If you do you must visit the place that the pet is being housed/kenneled at. The living conditions should help you decide if the pet has a healthy environment.

Most important in trying to adopt a pet, contact local humane society watch groups like here in New Jersey see www.njcapsa.org.

I am only scratching a surface that seems to be deeper.

I ask Craigslist to start regulating its own website and stop allowing individuals to remove other peoples postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment